About .nz domains
Domain Name Commission is the sponsor and Key Systems is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .nz extension that represents New Zealand.
Who can register .nz domains?
Anyone can register a .co.nz, .net.nz, .org.nz domain.
- .nz - Not supported.
- .co.nz - Intended for commercial entities.
- .net.nz - Intended for network infrastructures, such as Internet Service Providers.
- .org.nz - Intended for non-profit organizations.
When registering a .nz domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 characters
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters of the domain name)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: 1-10 years
- Renewal length: 1-10 years
- Your .nz domain name renews before its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether the domain name is auto-renewed or renewed manually. Auto-renewal is attempted on the first day of the month prior to the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal on the 10th of the month and again on the 20th of the month.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 20th of the month prior to the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for instructions on the redemption.
- For example: Your .nz domain name expires on October 10. If your domain name does not renew automatically, you can renew it manually by September 20. For automatic renewals, we attempt to renew the domain name on September 1, September 10, and September 20.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Supported
- Must Use: 2 - 63 Characters
- When your .nz domains transfer in to GoDaddy, the registration year does not extend.
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- To transfer your .nz domain to another registrar, you must submit the transfer with the gaining registrar. Please contact our GoDaddy Guides to request the UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication Identifier).
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- When you move the domain name, the registrant's first name, last name, and company name cannot be changed.
- Basic privacy protection: Not supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not supported
- CashParking: Not supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- For changes to the registrant information on your .nz domain name, please contact our GoDaddy Guides for help.
- Must use: 2-4 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
RefundsFor details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms > Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
To cancel your .co.nz domain, contact our GoDaddy Guides for assistance.